Saturday, June 1, 2013

Book: The Pregnancy Project

I kept hearing good things about The Pregnancy Project on professional list-servs I belong to. I was waiting and waiting and waiting for my library system to get a copy. Finally, it popped up on our new release list and I was the first one to check it out. (Nerd? Yes!)

Gaby Rodriguez faked a pregnancy for her senior year project. That’s pretty intense. She discusses teen pregnancy and stereotypes from a very first-person perspective. Rodriguez’s memoir is a hard-hitting dose of reality for any teen, and she balances her personal experiences with statistics and research. She reveals the hurtful comments her classmates and friends uttered behind her back, and it's a sobering reality of what many teenagers go through on a regular basis. One quote at the end of her story stood out to me: "I hope we can change this society so that, instead of teens working hard to tear each other down and laughing about it in the school hallways, we can learn to support each other and help each other move forward when there are troubles along the way." 

Rodriguez's writing is from the heart and very easy to read. I flew through the book in two days. As an adult, it was a fascinating glimpse into the realities that some teenagers face. If this sounds like a read you’d be interested in picking up, it would be in the nonfiction area of your local public library (our copy was shelved in the Young Adult area).



Disclaimer: Yes, I've linked to where you can learn more about Gaby's book. No, I'm not making money off the links.

5 comments:

  1. I loved this one! It was so interesting to me. I've been meaning to check out the movie but it always slips my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping the movie will come out on Netflix. I've heard good things about it!

      Delete
  2. Just added this to my Good Reads "to read" list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete