Saturday, May 25, 2013

Reflecting on Six Years of Marriage

When I was a teenager, I told my mom that I never wanted to get married. I had it set in my mind that once I graduated from high school I would go through college and focus on my career. I miss those rose-shaded glasses of youth sometimes - you know, the ones where everything works out how you plan things.

And then the real world comes along.

I never dated in high school. I couldn't be bothered. I was also a plus-sized teenager (who is still a plus-sized woman, but a smaller version!) who had a lot of body issues. No one dated the fat girl, and I was OK with that. I knew there were better opportunities outside of high school and my hometown, and I was excited to find out what the world offered. When I moved away for college, I started dating. I had two very unsuccessful "relationships" that I can't help but laugh about now. After the second relationship ended and I went on a couple of bad first dates, I just stopped playing the dating game and went back to worrying about me and my education.

One day, Richie came in to the picture.

I love to tell Our Story, but I'd rather wait another time to go into all the cute and sweet details. But he came into my life when I was 19. He was different. I was sick one week after we made things official, and he took care of me - no questions asked. I can't tell you how many times I almost wet myself because he would make me laugh so hard. He was readily accepted by my family and friends. He supported my desires to do what I wanted to do in my professional life. He was The One. We both knew almost one month into dating that we would get married. We just knew.

It always happens when you least expect it, right?

On Memorial Day this year, we will celebrate six years of marriage. Around this time, we always reflect back on our first few months ago. It is clear to me now that this was who God had chosen for me. Richie was to be the man that I would partner with to take on this world. I couldn't have picked a better husband if I tried, and I'm so thankful I didn't choose anyone else. Richie takes care of me and our families. He works hard to provide for our family of us and two cats. He still makes me laugh. He never misses an opportunity to tell me I'm beautiful.

Reflecting back makes me get all mushy, but it also leads me to pray for my girlfriends and other women. Every woman should feel as treasured and beautiful as my husband makes me. My prayer for single women is that God brings them to that person, but you have to be patient. Wait and pray. Don't go in to marriage on your own timing - wait for God's timing. It's so absolutely worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment