Monday, January 13, 2014

NaBloPoMo: Nine

Prompt nine: Eleanor Roosevelt said: "A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Tell us about a time you felt your strength.

The first time I ever felt inner strength come through was when my dad passed away.

His death was very unexpected. I remember the hours after learning he passed were some of the longest. I remember completely breaking down and not understanding how I could live my own life without my dad here to cheer me on. It took days for the reality to set in.

Once the reality was apparent, I felt like I had to be superwoman for my mom. My mom was with my dad until the end. My mom broke the news to me over the phone (because I wasn't living near by), and she gathered the courage to tell my brother in person once he arrived at the hospital. My mom even explained daddy's passing to my niece. She was only three at the time, and the way my mom handled that was truly inspiring. Mom did her absolutely best to be strong while she was so fragile, so I knew that I needed to gather all of my strength to help her through.

I spent two weeks back home from the time I learned of daddy's passing to getting my mom moved in to a new apartment before I faced the true reality of going back to my own home and my own life 10 hours away to resume where I had left off. It was an awful transition to get back to everyday life without daddy, but I had no choice. I had to be strong. It will be five years this summer, and I still have days where I have to find my strength to get through the heartache. But I do it for my family, and especially for my dad because I know he's still cheering me on.

No comments:

Post a Comment