Wednesday, January 8, 2014

NaBloPoMo: Six

Prompt 6: Can peer pressure be positive? Why or why not?

To a degree, I think peer pressure can be positive. It all depends on the situation.

Photo credit: MomMaven on Flickr

I felt pressured to go back to school to earn my Master's degree. But it wasn't intentional pressure from my peers to earn the degree; it was pressure I put on myself to not settle for what my coworkers have settled for. I don't want to settle for a cushy job with no advancement opportunities. I don't want to work at the status quo. If I didn't pursue more education, I would have a difficult time advancing in my field. It can be done, but to where I want to get to, a Master's degree is non-negotiable. It took me a while to find the courage to apply for my program, and I put it off for some time. But now, I'm halfway through. The workload is a bit much to juggle with everything else in life, but I know in the long run it will benefit myself and my family to have the added education in a field I adore.

A big thank you to my coworkers for inadvertently putting pressure on me to take the steps to further my career. Because while where you are at is great for you, I want better for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment